Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It is indeed a small world!

Hi

One fine Monday evening, going back from work, I was wondering what can be my next blog post. As a person who just started to blog, I'm enthusiastic and all excited about keeping my blog up to date. When I felt a dearth for topics, an incident gave me the inspiration for this latest post.

It was a very busy day in office, unusually busy!! At 18.45 I am frantically trying to keep deadlines before my boss looks at me as if I am the biggest sinner in the world. It is then that one of my friends in Hyderabad messages me asking for directions to go home from work by shared auto rickshaws and shared cabs. Now, my fascination for this mode of transportation is well known in my friends circles. I sitting in Delhi, 1600 kms away from Hyderabad down south directed or at least helped my friend go back home via shared auto rickshaws.

I don't claim it to be a great achievement nor do I say this is unheard of, but in me it evoked a couple of thoughts:

How we have reduced distances...I don't feel far from anybody. Even though 3400 kms away form my home, I know what is going on at home. I miss many of my friends but all I need to do is put in a text message or give them a call. Distances and boundaries cease to exist now. No, I am not arriving at concluding the world is a global village!

Working in a knowledge management platform, I am seeing the practical applications of technology on a daily basis, because my job demands it. But once faced with a real life experience for myself, I can't help but think what an easy world we live in where everything is there at your fingertips.

Thanks to the many dreary looking bunch of people whom we occasionally calls losers who did put their grey matter to good use!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment